While we are on the topic of budget wedding tips that are not super helpful, lets talk about another common one: “A good way to cut back on the cost of your wedding is to cut the size of your bridal party, since a major hidden cost of weddings is the bridal party gifts.” Now, we are not having a large bridal party, and I know that lots of you are not choosing to have a bridal party at all. But! If you want to have your friends standing up with you on your wedding day, you should be able to have that, even if you don’t have a big budget.
I’m not sure when we all decided that it was mandatory to give expensive bridal party gifts, but it’s silly. Can you imagine if one of your best friends were getting married, and you found out she hadn’t asked you to be a bridesmaid because she felt she couldn’t afford to give you a nice enough gift? Right. Because being a bridesmaid is clearly something you do because you’re hoping for a big payoff.
So, with that in mind, I thought I would draw up a short list of what I think are the best possible gifts you can give a attendant, or anyone who helped you and supported you during your wedding.
1. Let the girls wear their own dress! Let the guys wear their own suits! That sh*t is a PRESENT. If you want everyone to match, give the girls their dress as a present, and give the guys a nice tie, or pay for their tux rental.
2. Don’t make them pay travel all over the country/world/universe for your bachelorette party in Vegas/Italy/Mars. Again, that in itself, is a present.
2. Write your attendants a letter, telling them how much they mean to you. Awww….
3. Give everyone a nice picture frame, and when you get your pictures back, give them a picture of the two of you on your wedding day. Really, that is all I want when I’m in a wedding. Access to the cache of professional pictures.
4. Pick up something for them on your honeymoon, if you are taking one. It doesn’t have to be expensive. They’ll appreciate knowing you were thinking about them at that truck stop in Idaho.
5. And of course, you can always buy indie. Check out One Small Star’s excellent gift guide here.
What are you guys giving your attendants/ wedding helpers? I mean *other* then the diamond and ruby tiara from Tiffany’s. Obviously. What gifts would you want as a attendant/ wedding helper?
Photo via MaggieMacPhoto’s Flickr stream