Welcome to the new site!!! It’s funny, after months slaving away over it, the last few days have felt like we were wandering around in a big empty house… so now, it’s a full house! Yay!!!! I know it looks different (and hopefully wonderful), but I wanted to take a moment at the outset to remind you it’s still the same APW. The content is still the same. The advertising policy is still the same (no crazy WIC nonsense here). I’m still the same. But now it’s prettier, and much better organized…. And now you can send people to the site, and they can figure out what the h*ll is going on here.
Let me show you around. Excited?? Ok, first, the header. Since my designer Liz and I are both pretty conceptual when it comes to design, we wanted to create something that visually represented the APW ethos. So, we played with the idea of tangible objects as a way to bring it back to basics – wood, chalk, rings, and lace. We used real wedding dress lace, and then Liz painted all over it – a way to take tradition and deconstruct it, re-invent it, make it ours. And then there are the wedding rings, which speak for themselves.
Places you should look:
- The drop down menus! Can you believe it? We have drop down menus!! Some of them are for really big topics (manifestos, say), but then when you look at the dilemma category, there are a million topics. I want you guys, as you are planning, to be able to think, “Hum, I’d like to read some APW posts on registries”… and bam, there you go.
- The wedding graduates!!! I’m so proud of this. The first time I looked at a completed wedding graduates page, I think I finally got it. Because there were a million weddings, like you’d see on, uh, Big Wedding Website. But instead of there being some text about the couples colors, or favors, or what they DIYed, the brides were having their say, about their very own experiences. And I love that so much. So go, play around. And refresh the page…. You’ll see something new at the top each time.
- The How-To page. It’s not that full yet, but it’s pretty. I’m excited to see where it will go, and thrilled that we have a place to organize resources.
- Comments. So, to get a little icon of yourself when you comment, you can sign up at Gravitar, which works on tons of web sites. I would love it if you did, since I know most of you by ‘face.’
- We now have community moderated comments! There is a little flag icon by each comment, and if you see someone being a jerk or violating our comment policy, YOU get to flag the comment. Yay! Democracy!
- Can you see the ads on the right side? (If you can’t, I’d love it if you’d support the site by white-listing us on your ad blocker. No ad will EVER flash at you here). Anyway. We have all the same advertisers, and exactly the same ad philosophy, but they are so much prettier now. It makes me so proud to see all these artists and business people that I’ve been partnered with for a year plus, over there, finally with a way to really let their stuff shine.
- Hit the reclaiming wife button… there is a little surprise for you. (I know, right?)
- The frazzled bride logo. Thanks to David’s obsessive focus on taking the bride with us, the original APW logo is still on the site…. You just have to find it, so go look!
Other than that, show yourselves around, I really hope you like it. And hats off to Super Runaway, who were tireless in getting the design just so (thanks Liz), and the website working exactly the way I wanted* (thanks Jeff).
Oh! And it only seems right to give you all a little present, so:
And now, I’m going to take a nap. Maybe for a week.
*There will, of course, be bugs. The biggest bug is that Internet Explorer 6 is not supported by anyone anymore, so the site will look a bit wonky there (Sorry! I know!). For other bugs that crop up, please let us know, and we’ll try to get them fixed as soon as we can.