Last week, I announced the APW Vendor Directory and told you that it was half of a big and secret project that I’d been working on behind the scenes. Today I get to announce the other half, which is project I’ve been dreaming of for years, and readers have been requesting for almost as long. I’m delighted to announce the APW Venue directory… with all user generated content.
When I was getting married, I realized that the best way to find vendors was to find people who specifically wanted to work with people like me, so I scoured like-minded wedding blogs and found amazing people. Now you’ve got APW sponsors to help you with that project. But finding venues was decidedly more complicated. It seemed like all the best (and most affordable, and least soul destroying) venues were well-kept secrets. They were picnic sites, rooms you could rent in a restaurant, parks and rec venues, affordable campsites, hotels used in non-traditional ways, and the like. In short, they were places that didn’t advertise as WEDDING venues (which is why I wanted to use them). The trick was, you had know know a cool crowd of hip ladies to find them.
Know any crowd like that? Achem.
So, we decided to take this project online. This is how it works:
- If you loved your wedding venue, and you want to share it with other Team Practical ladies, you can submit it to be featured in our Vendor Directory. Just fill out a form, include at least one picture of your venue (preferably one from your wedding day, let’s keep this personal), and hit submit. We’ll edit the entries to make them super lovely before they go live.
- Only readers can submit Venues. At the moment Venues can’t submit themselves to the directory.
- There is a 1 to 5 star venue system. Anything below 3 stars doesn’t get posted. Why? This isn’t a review site, this is a directory of venues Team Practical loves.
- Starting on September 26th, the Venue Directory will go live, along with our Vendor Directory.
- You’ll be able to comment on listings. So if you also got hitched at a particular listed venue, you can leave a review with your feedback.
But it gets better. Thanks to Super Runaway, the whole Venue Directory is powered by Google Maps. So you can search by location and see what’s near you. You can also search by ceremony and reception sites, religious and non-religious sites, and price. Awesome.
Of course this directory only works if you enter venues. So if you loved your venue, you have your weekend project. Doing a really, really good job filling out the form will only take you fifteen minutes, tops, and will earn you good karma, and many happy future brides. And look, now you can find the Vendor and Venue Directory applications just by looking to your left. Like so:
Also, as a side note for those of you interested in this sort of thing, the Venue half of the Directory Project is not revenue generating at the moment. We’re just doing it because it’s an idea whose time has come.
Submit your venue already! Yippee!