Last month, we asked you guys to give us your best recommendations for non-traditional parent dance songs for weddings. As it turns out, good parent dance songs are actually remarkably hard to pin down. As one commenter mentioned, it can be particularly difficult finding songs that both refrain from infantilizing you while also respecting the parent/child relationship.
So today we’ve pulled together some of our favorites from your suggestions. (Er, have I mentioned how much ugly crying took place in my office while pulling these together? Because seriously.) In truth, there were a ton of great ideas in the comments of the original request, but for today we to call attention to the ones that were a little on the unexpected side (well, some of them at least).
The next playlist we have planned is going to be a good one (recessional songs, which might be some of my favorite wedding music there is). But in the meantime, we wanted to take this post to ask you guys: which wedding music do you want some extra help with? We love that today’s playlist came about from the community (you were pretty vocal about the lack of good parent dance songs), so if you leave us your suggestion in the comments, we’ll see what we can do about incorporating your idea into our next open thread music post.
And now, the playlist that will probably (definitely) make you cry at work. If only because Kermit singing always makes you cry, right?
Unexpected Parent Dance Songs
- “Wildflowers” by Tom Petty
- “Still Fighting It” by Ben Folds
- “You’ve Got A Friend In Me” by Randy Newman
- “Somewhere Out There” by Linda Ronstadt and James Ingram from the movie An American Tail
- “Little Willow” by Paul McCartney
- “Teach Your Children” by Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
- “Rainbow Connection” by The Muppets*
- “You’ve Got A Friend” by Carole King
- “If I Should Fall Behind” by Bruce Springsteen
- “Not Even The King” by Alicia Keys
- “Child Of Mine” by Carole King
- “Watch Them Grow” by Zach Gill
- “My Wish” by Rascal Flatts
Photo by: Hart & Sol West (APW Sponsor)