Sometimes when we’re pulling together content for APW, it doesn’t occur to us that we’ve been following a theme until after everything’s compiled and we can look at it holistically for the first time. Such is the case with our wordless weddings from The Good. As we were putting together this playlist, it occurred to us that many of last month’s weddings were light on dancing and heavy on lots of other kinds of fun, like lawn games and cocktails.
The wedding industry has come so far in learning to accept that there are many, many ways to have a successful wedding without having to subscribe to the dominant cultural narrative about How Things Should Be Done. (No plated dinner? No problem. Alcohol-free? Cool.) And I think it’s really important to regularly showcase that you can have fun at a wedding with limited or no dancing (because some people just aren’t dancing people).
So today’s playlist is dedicated to the music lovers who prefer to listen rather than groove. And to honor this part of our community, we’re opening up the comments to your suggestions for best non-dancing music choices. So hit us up with your cocktail hour music, your dance-free suggestions, your board-game accompaniments, and any jams that makes for good background noise while the real activities are happening. In the meantime, enjoy the easy listening of April, a playlist which includes both The Muppets and Bruce Springsteen and therefore makes me want to hug all of you and tell you how much I like you.
- “Nothing Can Change This Love” by Sam Cooke from Analisa & Tim’s Wedding at San Ysidro Ranch
- “Mahna Mahna” by The Muppets from Padmini & Andrew’s Santa Barbara Courthouse and Winery Wedding
- “This Time Tomorrow” by The Kinks from Megan & Joe’s Woodsy New Jersey Wedding
- “How Does It Feel” by Slade from Kathryn & Will’s Feminist British Wedding
- “I Love You Because” by Jim Reeves from Kathryn & Will’s Feminist British Wedding
- “Your Hand in Mine” by Explosions in the Sky from Ashley & Sebastian’s Austin Destination Wedding
- “Froggie Went A-Courtin’” by Bruce Springsteen from Lizzie & Neil’s Summer Camp Wedding
- “I Got You” by Wilco from Lin & Pat’s DIT Massachusetts Farm Wedding