*This is a paid post from an APW Sponsor*
I feel like it’s impossible for us to talk about bridesmaids dresses without sitting down and having a little therapy session first. Because, we’ve all been through it, and have the proof hanging in our closets. When it comes to planning your own wedding, bridesmaid dresses can be even more stressful. Because being the thoughtful caring people that you are (hello, yesterday one of you was worried about inconveniencing people by having your wedding too close to Halloween, for goodness sake) you really want to get it RIGHT for your ladies. And figuring out how to get it right is complicated. In those heady early days of wedding blogs, I thought getting it right meant letting people wear what they wanted, and let me tell you: STRESS CITY. Turns out, everyone wanted me to tell them what to wear. And they kinda wanted to wear something matching and cute. And I didn’t want them to have to buy something they’d never wear again, so, deadlock.
Lucky for you, that problem is now solved. Corie, the awesome founder of Little Borrowed Dress, has spent the last few years painstakingly building a business that creates ethical high-quality bridesmaids dresses, and then rents them to your ladies for just $50. I know right? RENTAL BRIDESMAID DRESSES. Where has this idea been our whole lives??
The big news today is that Little Borrowed Dress is expanding their color options in 2014. As a small business, LBD has been slowly working toward expanding size and color choices to be able to make the magic happen for even more of you. And their new color choices? Awesome.
Like so many of the small businesses APW is lucky enough to work with, Little Borrowed Dress is committed to amazing customer service, and has worked hard to perfect a process that makes renting your dress pain-free. They say, “A wedding does not leave room for error. The dresses must arrive on time, looking perfect. No exceptions; no mistakes. This is our pledge to you.”
The process itself is simple.
- First, choose your dresses. Since Little Borrowed Dress isn’t one of those sites that requires you to sign up before browsing (because, no thank you), you can tweet or pin or post your favorite dresses and crowdsource your wedding party for opinions. In the meantime, feel free to order a free fabric swatch to make sure you’re getting the color you want.
- If you’re wondering how Little Borrowed Dress designs look on actual wedding parties? Check out some of the real weddings on the newly redesigned Little Borrowed Dress blog. Plus, these two examples of APWers working LBD’s are pretty hot (you guys have all the style).
- Next, try it on! (Or don’t!) Little Borrowed Dress has a showroom in NYC and will be doing trunk shows in major US cities next year if you want to try on their dresses. But if you’re not local, don’t worry, because Little Borrowed Dress includes a backup size in every order they send out. (And, if those dresses don’t fit, which they will because you’ll measure yourself, they’ll ship you a third dress super quickly for $25. Seriously. They’ve got this covered.)
- Then place your reservation online and wait for your dresses to arrive. They’ll be there two weeks before the wedding, professionally cleaned and ready to go!
- Dance the night away.
- Drop your dress in the mail using the prepaid envelope provided by Little Borrowed Dress and never think about it again.
Too. Easy. Plus, Little Borrowed Dress designs are created with the express purpose of fittings lots of shapes and sizes, so if you’re worried that your diverse group of ladies aren’t going to look good in these styles, rest assured that the LBD team has worked hard to design dresses that fit like a charm. And because the dresses are made to be a more flexible fit, Little Borrowed Dress is a great option for bridesmaids who are pregnant or might become pregnant during the planning process. (You can see me, pregnant, in a Little Borrowed Dress right here.) Plus, they were even thoughtful enough to design dresses that you can step into, so as to not muss your hair. Right? Thoughtful.
With Little Borrowed Dress, you’re not just getting your ladies a good deal on a cheap dress (and saving them closet space), you’re also supporting ethical business practices and garment production. Because sure. You could find some cheap dresses for $50. But unlike those dresses, Little Borrowed Dresses are made in the Garment District in New York City, so you can feel good about supporting a vibrant and important part of US manufacturing. Plus, your bridal brigade isn’t going to wear the dresses and then toss them/shove them in the back of their closets and never look at them again. Nope! Instead, that ethically-made high-quality dress will go right back to LBD, and get worn at another celebration of love. Perfect.
I know, I know. It’s winter. And you’re probably not getting married till the spring. Or the summer. Or the fall. But because Little Borrowed Dress is working with a limited number of dresses, start figuring out what dresses you want to order, and then get going on making your reservation. Let other people be the ones stressing about getting their first-choice colors come summer. APW ladies? You’ll have it in the bag.
Photo: Final photo, Maddie for Eyes and Hart Photography