So you just got hitched! Hurrah! Welcome to the other side. Switching from wedding planning to married-being can be slightly disorienting. It can be sad and wonderful all at the same time. But not to worry, the APW community is still just as much yours as it was before you got married. In fact, there is a whole section of the blog called Reclaiming Wife, just for you. But to get you started, here are some of our favorite topics over the years on married life:
- A sensible place to start might be Meg’s very first posts on married life and her just-married bliss. Let’s start with the holy-shit-I-just-got-married posts: I am married! F*ck you wedding, I don’t have to plan you anymore! I am blissed out! I have been married for a month, and I still love it!
- Next, you might want to move to Meg’s early Reclaiming Wife posts. In this post, she talked about the fact that she was going to write about married life. Then, she floated the idea of Reclaiming Wife and why she thought it was vital. And then, heck, you might want to read the Reclaiming Wife posts from the very beginning.
- If you’ve been reading APW, you know all about Wedding Graduates, those smart sassy women writing about what they learned while getting married. One of the staff’s favorite parts of the site is Wedding Graduates Return, when those same women come back and talk about their marriages and how they look at their wedding days a few years down the road.
- One of the crucial and under-discussed parts of married life is sex. So let’s dive in.
- And while we’re talking about sex, let’s talk about money, too. We’re not shy around here! Dealing with finances can be one of the great difficulties of marriage, but it also has the potential to be a great joy.
- And f*ck it. Let’s talk about chores.
- Yes, you’re married. But perhaps you’re still grappling with the great name change debate? Join the club. Here at APW we might be a tiny bit angry that society doesn’t choose to make that decision easier on women. Let’s discuss.
- And finally, the secret reason Meg still runs APW is that she gets to write about her life and her marriage. You can read all of her stories of life and marriage right here.
And remember, married life is what you make it. Sail around the world. Have kids. Don’t have kids. Quit your job and write a book. But no matter what you undertake, remember, no one gets to tell you what your marriage will look like. That’s something you get to figure out together. (And have fun.)
Photo: Meg in Greece, for A Practical Wedding