The day is finally here! After tons of hard work by the APW Team and our amazing Web developers Super Runaway, I’m overjoyed to finally launch the APW Vendor Directory and Venue Directory. Both of these directories are based around the APW Sanity Pledge, something we’re making all vendors take. (Let’s hear it for changing the wedding industry a little bit at a time!) Engaged readers should be thrilled because, well, we just made it a whole lot easier to have a sane wedding. (I would have killed for this directory when we were engaged.) And married readers should be thrilled because part of the goal of this directory is to allow APW to grow in new directions. Hooray!
A Searchable Vendor Directory…
As you see in the picture above, Super Runaway has made the Vendor Directory fully searchable and amazing. You can search by region! You can search by type of vendor! You can search by vendor name! You can search by price! And once you’ve done that, you can sort the directory any which way: alphabetically, by price, or even by newest listings.
…Full of All Kinds of Vendors!
One of the excellent things about the directory is that it offers us a way to share a whole variety of sane wedding vendors with you, not just photographers. Here are some of the new and awesome listings we’ve got:
- Florists! Including places like Green Snapdragon Floral Design, a long time APW reader who’s staring an affordable floral design studio in Northern California. Or you can find Victoria & Florence, doing beautiful and affordable flowers and cakes in London.
- Food! Ok, we need way more of this (Caterers, submit! You’ll have a monopoly in your area!), but to start, check out Cake Cathedral (Emily‘s mom!) in Central California.
- Stationery! How about the innovative Magpie Paperworks, or the ultra design-y Hello Tenfold?
- Music! There is the Yay New York DJ Whitney Day diving into weddings for far less than she should be charging (holy crap New York City, if you don’t hire her, something is wrong with you), or Katie Bender on the Flute in Seattle.
- Makeup! We’ve even got affordable and down to earth make up artists with NYC Faces.
- Officants! There is Yay New York‘s Cheerleader for Love and Eclectic Unions.
- More photographers! Maybe you are looking for photographers, but you want them in the Midwest. Well, now we’ve got you covered.
- And more! You guys… there is so much more.
Plus, because we owe a deep debt of gratitude to APW front page sponsors (those are the businesses you see advertising in our right sidebar and in sponsored posts), you’ll see their listings marked in purple, with a special sponsor badge. You can even search just for APW sponsors, if you so choose, because we love those guys. They’re integrally involved in APW, have their own forum, help pay our bills, and generally rock our world.
You Should Apply
If you’re a vendor, and want to apply for the directory, we’d love to consider you. The excellent Emily Gutman of Emily Takes Photos, one of the longest time APW sponsors, is managing the directory for me, and she’ll take very good care of you. Please apply here, rates are $325 for a full page listing for a full year.
User Submitted Venue Directory
But that’s not all, because I don’t do things in half measures. We’re also launching the APW Venue Directory, with all user submitted content. It’s powered by Google Maps, and has the start of the world’s most amazing collection of venues. There are summer camps, churches, firehouses, parks, historical mansions and hotels. It will make you want to get married all over again.
Submit Your Venue, If You Loved It!
So start looking at venues in your area. And if you are already married and loved your venue, please, please pay it forward by submitting it to the directory (hint: the more personal pictures you submit that really show off your venue, the better). You can also submit, say, Catholic churches that don’t marry gay couples (yet!), as long as it’s a matter of religious policy, not bigotry (use your judgement), so remember to submit both ceremony and reception venues. Submitting is totally free and immediately earns you magical APW karma points, which you can cash in for a virtual hug and a hand hold, when you need it most.
We hope the directories will only grow from here. We hope that we’ll have many new listings, that you’ll send your friends here when they are tearing their hair out looking for a sane and affordable vendor or venue. This is just the beginning, and I can’t wait to see where it all goes…