*This is a paid post from an APW Sponsor*
Here at APW, we’ve been big fans of Little Borrowed Dress from the very beginning. First off, the concept is flat out brillant. Instead of promising your bridesmaids dresses that they’ll wear again (Hint: they probably won’t) you can rent high quality bridesmaid dresses that they’ll love to wear, love to save money on, and love mailing back the next day. Brillant, right? Plus, if some of your bridesmaids want to rent, and some of them want to buy, Little Borrowed Dress can make that happen too. And, close to my heart (and so many of your values), Little Borrowed Dress is a woman-owned small business run by the talented and lovely Corie (I’ve had drinks with her, and can vouch that this is a woman working hard to build an amazing business to make the wedding industry better).
Before we dive into exactly how the rental process works, and the ways Little Borrowed Dress has worked to streamline and simplify the process so it’s even easier for you, I want to talk about the dresses. Last year, Corie came down to San Francisco, and brought some dresses for me to try on, and twirl around in (in a bar, natch). And these dresses are amazing, ladies. They’re 100% silk, built to fit lots of body types, and all manufactured in New York City (so you’re supporting the garment district and local businesses, something I think is profoundly important.) Also New York City brides can go to Little Borrowed Dresses’ new showroom to try on the dresses in person.
But down to the nitty gritty. How does renting a bridesmaid dress work? Let me lay this out for you. This is how you do it:
- Browse the collection online.
- Order a free fabric swatch to see the color in person.
- Place your order to reserve your bridesmaid dress.
- Two weeks before the wedding, the dress arrives at your doorstep professionally cleaned and ready to wear.
- The first business day after the wedding, place it in the mail in the pre-addressed / pre-paid packaging. Little Borrowed Dress handles the cleaning!
- Plus, Little Borrowed Dress also sells the dresses new. So if you’re a low maintenance bride, but have one high maintenance bridesmaid? Have her purchase the dress! To buy the dress new is $150, so you won’t be asking her to spend a fortune, but your bridesmaids that might be on a budget (or just don’t want to buy) can have the option of renting. Everyone’s happy.
We completely understand that it is scary to order something online and not know whether it will fit. And we’re also very well aware that normal bridesmaid dresses never fit anyone without requiring alterations. But we’re not normal bridesmaid dresses. Here’s how we’re different and how we will ensure that your bridesmaids walk down the aisle in something they feel great in:
We use normal sizing—actually better than normal sizing. In our design process we use multiple fit models with VERY different body types. One is 5’4” with a fuller bust size and the other is 5’9” with a small bust size. If a style looks equally good on both of them, it is a keeper. We then add strategically placed elastic and built-in adjustment points to ensure it will fit different bust to waist proportions. If you fit into dresses from a place like the Gap without having to get them altered, you’ll fit in ours too!
We now send a second “back-up” size dress free of charge with all rental orders.
We are on-hand to offer sizing and style advice—different styles do look better on different body types and based on a few simple questions (or sending in a photo) we can steer you in the right direction as to which style will look best
We are committed to making sure your bridesmaids look and feel great—if they receive the dress and let us know within 48 hours that it doesn’t fit, we promise to make it right before the wedding date. Whether that means sending them a different style or size of dress to wear, or selling them the dress they ordered at a very discounted rate so that they can get it altered exactly to fit, we promise that your bridesmaids will have a dress that fits them when they walk down the aisle.
And finally, pricing. Let’s discuss exactly what Little Borrowed Dress costs, both to rent and to buy:
- Cocktail length dresses – $50 to rent | $150 to buy
- Full length dresses – $75 to rent | $185 to buy
- Discount for APW brides—use code “APW” to get 5% off all orders placed by 7/15/2012