Every so often, while riding in the car, listening to modern love songs, and I will remark that one or another of them would have made a good first dance song.
It’s not that I didn’t love our first dance song—in fact I still do. But sometimes you hear a song that just perfectly encapsulates your relationship, and you get to be a little disappointed that it didn’t exist when you were making your original picks. (Or you file them away for possible vow renewal use, naturally.)
I’m of the opinion that the song you choose for a first dance doesn’t have to be timeless or even a love song, you just have to love it. (Besides, what’s timeless anyway?) Today’s playlist is a roundup of modern love songs from the last five years that make excellent first dance songs, as chosen by the APW staff. Maybe they’ll be classics, maybe they won’t, but if you love them, then who cares?
And of course, we want all your picks for best modern first dance songs (or just what you’re using for your own song) in the comments.
15 Modern Love Songs For Your First Dance
1. “XO” by Beyonce
2. “All of Me” by John Legend
3. “She Keeps Me Warm” by Mary Lambert
4. “That’s What’s Up” by Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros as covered by Lennon & Maisy
5. “400 Lux” by Lorde
6. “Marry You” by Bruno Mars
7. “Somebody to You” by the Vamps (featuring Demi Lovato)
8. “Cray to Love You” by Leonard Cohen
9. “You Song” by Lil Wayne ft. Chance the Rapper (NSFW)
10. “My House” by Kacey Musgraves
11. “I Found You” by Alabama Shakes
12. “Thinking Out Loud” by Ed Sheeran
13. “Marry Me” by Train
14. “Closer” by Tegan and Sara
15. “One And Only” by Adele
Got a modern love song you love, that we missed? Let us know in the comments!