Are you horrified by the way we’re treating and detaining immigrant families? Have you been following the news and feeling isolated, depressed, and wondering what can be done? Do you (and your partner, kids, grandparents, besties) want to make an impact to support those in need, connect with local folks who are similarly inspired, and have a little fun doing it?
Join A Practical Wedding and Sequoia Diner in Oakland this Friday, June 29th, to fundraise for The Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services (RAICES). RAICES is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that promotes justice by providing free and low-cost legal services to underserved immigrant children, families, and refugees in Central and South Texas. Fast facts:
- Parents separated from their children at the border (and other immigrants placed in detention) can’t get released from ICE custody to reunite with their families until they pay the full amount of their immigration bond.
- Bonds are set at a median of $8,000 (as of 2016 data), even for asylum seekers without any criminal history.
- 2 in 3 detained immigrants do not receive legal representation.
- Bonded out, represented immigrants are eight times more likely to win their cases than unrepresented detainees.
THE Short & Sweet Deets
WHEN: Friday, June 29th from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
WHERE: Sequoia Diner, 3719 MacArthur Boulevard, Oakland, California 94619
RSVP: Tickets are limited! Head over to the Eventbrite page here, and sign up for the 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. session or the 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. session.
A LITTLE MORE INFO
The fundraiser is a family-friendly evening that includes an open wine bar, delicious snacks, prizes from our favorite local businesses, stations to call our representatives, and space to connect to other concerned and mobilized locals.
You can grab a ticket by making a donation ($50 suggested, but anything helps) here.
Your ticket includes:
- Open wine bar from Revel Wine
- Raffle ticket with a chance to win incredible prizes from: Camino, The Kebabery, Preserved, Tartine Manufactory, Highwire Coffee, Subrosa Coffee, Bossed Up, and Beauty’s Bagel Shop
- Delicious snacks
- Refreshing beverages from Sequoia Diner
- Spot at our political action phone bank
To reserve your spot, please sign up for the 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. session or the 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. session. If you can’t join us at this event but would still like to help out, please consider making a donation in the ticket section or invite friends via the Facebook event link.
Huge thank you to Flowers from Hello Flowers and all the businesses who donated to this event. We are still open to local businesses willing to contribute snacks, gift certificates, wine, etc. If you are interested in donating please send us a message at team [at] apracticalwedding [dot] com.
One hundred percent of the proceeds from this event will be donated The Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services (RAICES). RAICES is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that promotes justice by providing free and low-cost legal services to underserved immigrant children, families, and refugees in Central and South Texas.
Additional donations will be accepted at the door.