As tattoos become ever more mainstream (much to the chagrin of my very Catholic family), I am seeing more and more couples commemorating their nuptials with permanent ink, AKA the wedding ring tattoo. (Maybe we can blame it on Bey and Jay? They have matching roman numeral IV tats on their ring fingers.) But since they aren’t totally the norm yet, I still tend to think of wedding tattoos as coming in exactly one flavor: a heavy black band tattooed around your ring finger, done. And while that is obviously a classic option (can we call a wedding ring tattoo classic?), there are many, many more choices than that.
In fact, you can get a ring finger tattoo that isn’t a ring at all. So if you’re looking for a permanent declaration of your love, but also want something that’s personally meaningful to you, we’ve rounded up a variety of micro finger tattoos of both the ring and non-ring variety that can either replace your jewelry or function as a secret message that lives under a more traditional wedding ring. Pro tip: Wedding ring tattoos are also great for people that work with their hands and can’t realistically wear a ring day to day, but they want something (very) permanent to always have there to look at.
Bonus: If a ring-finger tattoo isn’t your vibe but inking your love is, we’ve also got a whole bunch of couple tattoos that aren’t a heart with an arrow through it, right here.
But before you get a wedding ring tattoo, this is what you absolutely need to know:
- Give yourself some time to heal. Skin heals in all different ways. Part of this process can mean peeling, scabbing, and dryness. Cleanliness is a MUST during the healing process. If you want to stay far, far away from infections, your hands need to stay dry and clean at all times.
- Timing is important. If you want your tattoo to look its best at your wedding, give yourself a couple of weeks before that day to let your tattoo heal. Or you can always add an event to your actual wedding day and get tattooed on the spot, or just wait to get inked until after you make it official.
Pros of Wedding Ring Tattoos
- You can’t lose your ring. You will never have to worry about losing your ring since it is permanent.
- They can be cost effective. Wedding rings are expensive, so if you’re looking for a cost-effective way to symbolize your union, this may be perfect for you!
- You can always wear it. Wearing jewelry if you are working within certain occupations can be forbidden or simply impractical. So if you always want to have your ring on, tattooing might not be a bad option for you.
Cons of Wedding Ring Tattoos
- The ink can blur or blowout. Blurring can happen while you’re getting the tattoo or during the healing process, it depends on how your skin absorbs the ink, which varies case to case.
- Think about future job opportunities. If you work in a field that doesn’t generally accept tattoos or if you think you might eventually transition into a field that could fall under this category, it might be best to pick a tattoo that can be concealed under a (regular) ring.
- It will fade! The skin on your hands is thin and regenerates faster than other parts of your body. If you want to keep that ink looking fresh for a long time, be prepared to get it touched up (multiple times).
Wedding Ring Tattoo Ideas
The Red String of Fate also referred to as The Red String of Marriage: "The two people connected by the red thread are destined lovers, regardless of place, time, or circumstances. This magical cord may stretch or tangle, but never break." 💝 #coupletattoo #marriagetattoo #tattoos #redstringoffate #fingertattoos #couplestattoos #LutzGetMarried
Before Marriage… she wrotes the letter forever! #traditional #tattoo #Tattooink #tattooidea #tatuaggio #tattooartist #eclipsetattoos #littletattoo #cutetattoo #cute #love #dreamontattoo #marriagetattoo #bridetattoo #bride #yesido #lettertattoo #lovetattoo #sposa #sposami #tattoomarito #vignate #tattoovignate #amore #persempre
As we approach our 2yr wedding anniversary & having planned to do this for ages, we finally have🖤🖤As we teach most of the time & can't wear our wedding rings, we wanted something permanent. So, here they are, our wedding ring tattoos🖤🖤#flzfit #mrandmrsflzfit #weddingtattoo #alwaysandforever #dontjustsayitdoit
Super simple, super cute 💓 thanks Diane and Eden! *** #wedding #engaged #weddingring #weddingtattoo #married #justmarried #truelove #simple #minimal #jadetattoos #romajadetattoos #Playdead #ink #tattoo #tattoos #tattooer #tattooist #torontotattoo #parkdale #the6ix #neotat #vivace #love #instagood #dots #blackwhite #photography
@theweddingtattooer will collaborate with you to create a one of a kind, unique design, anything simple to ornate! Check out www.theweddingtattooer.com to start planning your reception today!! @huffpostweddings @offbeatbride #theoriginalweddingtattooer #oneofakind #theweddingtattooer #wedding #reception #phillywedding @phillymagevents @philawedding @theknot Tools: @keithbmachineworks @fkirons @kingpintattoosupply
Ultimate bestie comes to town, you meet her mega rad hubbie, tattoo some knuckle bangers, and have the best possible Friday. I LOVE YOU TO THE MOON MY BAAABE!!! ✨💌✨ #ultimatebestie #bestofthebest #mybabe #anchor #anchortattoo #husbandandwife #marriagetattoo #weddingringtattoo #knuckletattoos #girlswithtattoos #ladytattooers #ohiotattooers #columbustattooers #tattoo #apprentice #tattooapprentice #fatetattoo #asseenincolumbus
It's often painful for me to wear rings. Since I'm an artist I'm afraid to wear it because it will get covered in whatever goop I'm working with (then I forget to put it back on later). So, basically I've been wanting this #ringtattoo for a while. #infinitytimesinfinity #weddingbandtattoo #assassintattoo
Do you have A wedding ring tattoo? If you’ve done it, would you do it again? Is anyone considering getting some sort of wedding tattoo on their finger?